Frequent Questions

I am an EPA-certified lead risk assessor. Can I use an EPA recognized lead test kit (e.g. 3M LeadCheckTM, D-Lead®, etc.) when assessing whether or not a pre-1978 home contains lead-based paint for purposes of the Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Ru

Yes. In addition to a certified renovator, a person certified by EPA as a risk assessor or lead inspector may use an EPA recognized test kit to determine that regulated lead-based paint is not present in a home. Such a report can also be used to confirm that the RRP Rule would not apply to renovation activities in that home. A list of currently recognized test kits is available at:


Have more questions? Submit a request